Monday, November 28, 2011

Ask Daft Daddy: Why are these babies toothless and bald?

Ask Daft Daddy: Why are these babies toothless and bald?

We made it back safe and signal from our holiday road trip up north, and we even managed to not kill our Aunt Edna along the way. My wife Jeni, wee Mac and I stayed with our cousin Laura, who has this wonderful house on some lake. Now I don't know just so how she's one of my cousins – much like I don't know how Oliver was a cousin to the Bradys – but I do know she's family, and a fabulous host.

The only downside to staying with cousin Laura is the queen size bed Jeni and I had to take a nap in. Since we have a California King at home that can take a nap linking 8 and 10 people, I learned pretty quickly you have to be a performer in Cirque du Soleil not to fall out of a queen size bed. Needless to say, we're all quite pleased to be home and sleeping in our own beds.

So without additional ado, let me get to the Daft Daddy mail bag:

Dear Daft Daddy: My 7-month-ancient son has not started teething. When will his teeth come in and are there any signs to look for?

- Lisa from Tustin

Dear Lisa: The first sign to look for is drooling. Wee Mac has just started drooling a lot. He must look like Pavlov's dog. And it's kind of amusing because actual foam blow out of his mouth. It makes me wonder if his bottle has milk or Palmolive. The vast majority of babies sprout their first teeth when they’re linking 4 and 7 months of age. An early developer may get his first colorless cap as early as 3 months, while a late bloomer may have to wait until he’s a year ancient or more. So there is no need to panic just yet. When he starts drooling you'll know that teething is right around the corner. If he doesn't start drooling, try ringing a bell.

Dear Daft Daddy: My son is over a year ancient, and he still doesn't have any hair. He looks like Lex Luthor. When will my cue ball be a hair ball?

- Scott from Stanton

Dear Scott: First of all, please leave the cheeky, useless references to Daft Daddy. With that being said, wee Mac is also as bald as your super villain son. If Yul Brynner and Sinead O'Conner had a baby, I'm sure he would look just like wee Mac. Some babies are born with a full head of hair, while others have only a sparse covering. Any way, be reassured that your child will have normal hair growth at some top, although it may take some time to be noticeable. But if for some reason your son starts kindergarten and is still bald, keep your fingers crossed that the school play that year is the King and I. Your son will be a lock for the lead role.

* * *

Johnny California is a freelance writer who lives in Orange County with his wife and newborn son. His humor-advice column Question Daft Daddy runs weekly. Email questions to jcalifornia@daftdaddy.com and read more at daftdaddy.com. Oh, and no, that’s not his real last name.


Continue reading here:
tooth establish procedure

No comments:

Post a Comment